Kennet & Avon Canal 145 mile Race (KACR) 2023
London - Bristol
"The Great Western Run"
Friday 28th July 2023 06:00 at Delamere Terrace, Little Venice, London
HELD UNDER UK:ATHLETICS RULES AND WITH THE KIND PERMISSION OF THE CANAL & RIVER TRUST, THIS NON-STOP 145 MILE RACE IS FROM LITTLE VENICE, PADDINGTON TO THE HEART OF BRISTOL. THE ROUTE TAKES THE GRAND UNION CANAL TOWPATH TO SLOUGH, THE JUBILEE RIVER AND RIVER THAMES PATHS TO READING, THE KENNET & AVON CANAL TOWPATH TO BATH, AND FINALLY THE RIVER AVON PATH, TO FINISH AT THE LIGHTSHIP JOHN SEBASTIAN IN BATHURST BASIN. COMPETITORS, WHO MUST BE 20 OR OVER ON RACE DAY, ARE RECOMMENDED TO HAVE THEIR OWN SUPPORT CREWS, BUT UP TO 50 UNSUPPORTED RUNNERS CAN BE CATERED FOR BY THE ORGANISERS, CANALRACE C.I.C.. TRAIL RUNNING ASSOCIATION PERMIT NUMBER: 5517.
Organised on the same lines as the GUCR, this 145 mile race follows easy to navigate canal, river and railway paths. Competitors receive comprehensive maps of the entire route which passes through some of the best of English countryside. On the way runners “descend” the magnificent Caen Hill flight of 29 locks, a drop of 237 feet in 2 miles, one of the “Seven Wonders of the Waterways” and well worth seeing.
KACR is the second of the three race 2023 Canalslam series totalling over 400 miles. Each race can be entered as a one-off, but competitors completing all three receive a special award. Entrants should note that checkpoint/feed-stations are further apart than in these other races. Again there are no entry qualifications, but a schedule to fit the 45 hour overall time limit is required.
- Easy route navigation – detailed maps and a canal to follow.
- Plenty of support – feed stations approximately every 25 miles, and buddies allowed from the 77.5 mile point.
- Transport for retirees – a lift to the nearest station for anyone having a bad day.
- Easy to meet cut-off times – simply in line with the generous overall time limits.
- No qualification – previous experience of just a marathon has proven enough.
- is minimum support, but with feed points at 25, 52, 77, 99, 116 and 130 miles for Unsupported runners. Drinks available for all competitors at these points;
- has no first aid or medical backup, but provides transport for retiring Unsupported entrants;
- welcomes support crews throughout, and solo buddy runners (not pacers) on foot and only from 77.5 miles;
- has checkpoint cut-off times in line with an overall time-limit of 45 hours (i.e. to finish by 0300 hours on Sunday);
- is limited to 100 starters in total first come first served. Places will not be allocated by a draw.
- The full distance must be completed on foot, keeping, wherever possible, to the recognised towpath route.
- All Competitors must notify Race HQ (Tel. 07778 550945 or 07780 685538) immediately on retiring (even if they have already reported this at a checkpoint) or if they drop behind a schedule in line with the cut-off times.
- Competitors must reach all checkpoints by the closing times printed on the supplied maps. They must leave within 40 minutes of arrival. (Ref. rule 4.).
- Competitors will be deemed to have retired if stopped for more than 40 minutes at any one time. Competitors may enter vehicles for warmth, rest and nourishment, but will be disqualified if the vehicle moves. Any runner seen in a moving vehicle will count as retired, even if the intention is to return to the same place to resume, unless that vehicle is going to the aid of another entrant in difficulty.
- All competitors must display their race number to the front. It will be recorded at checkpoints en route. The medical form on the reverse of the number must be completed including emergency contact name and telephone number.
- Supported (with own crew) competitors must have at least one support crew member with a vehicle from the Start, and for the duration of the race.
- All competitors must carry a mobile phone, switched on at all times, for calls to or from Race HQ; and have the financial means to sustain themselves in the event of breakdown of support vehicle.
- All competitors must carry a foil ‘space’ blanket at all times.
- At night, all competitors and buddies must carry a torch or headlamp, with spare batteries, and wear reflective clothing when on road sections.
- All competitors must bring their own cup for accessing hot and cold drinks at aid stations.
- Unsupported competitors must carry the provided maps, at all times, in order to pin-point their location should our transport need to collect them upon retirement.
- Unsupported competitors must have one kit bag only, clearly labelled. For overseas competitors, a maximum of two clearly labelled kit bags will be accepted. Competitors must minimise the size and weight of their bag, bringing only what is necessary. Maximum permissible weight: 15kg.
- Buddy runners (someone who runs with the competitor) must be on foot. They must not run in front of their runner, always beside or behind. If in front they will be regarded as pacers and pacing is not permitted in this event. Competitors may have only one buddy runner at a time and then only from the 77.5 mile meeting point at Dundas Arms, Kintbury. Buddy runners must not carry any food, water or other supplies for their runner, i.e. muling is not permitted in this event. Buddies must depart aid stations at the same time as their runner.
- Walking poles are not allowed at this event for runners or buddies.
- Sharps, any needles, scalpels, or other articles that could cause wounds or punctures to personnel handling them, must be locked within a suitable container inside kit-bags.
- Competitors, crews and buddies must accept full responsibility for their actions (see Terms & Conditions).
- If unable to take part, entrants must undertake to inform the organiser – before race day please (see Pre-Entry Notes).
Registration, Start & Finish
Early Registration on Thursday evening 27th July is open from 18:00 until 20:00 at The Bridge House, 13 Westbourne Terrace Road, London, W2 6NG (to be confirmed). Limited roadside parking is available nearby on Delamere Terrace and Chichester Road. Prebookable and chargeable parking is available at the Bell Street car park, 5 Bell Street, Paddington, London, NW1 5BZ (2.0 metre height clearance) or alternatively Q-Park Church Street, Penfold Street NW8 8BG (1.9 metre height clearance), both around a 15 minute walk. Travelodge London Central Marylebone is located at Harewood Row, Marylebone, London, NW1 6SE, a 25 minute walk from the start.
Registration on race day Friday 28th July opens at 05:00 at Delamere Terrace, Little Venice, W2 6ND and is within 10 minutes walking distance of London Paddington railway and underground stations. Limited car parking is available on Delamere Terrace, right next to the start and on Chichester Road.
The Finish at the Lightship John Sebastian, Bathurst Basin, Bristol, BS1 6SG, is within 15 minutes walking distance of Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station. Free parking is available in the Lightship’s car park for runners’ crew vehicles, first come first served. Additional Pay and Display parking is available at Lower Guinea Street Car Park, right next to the finish. We encourage crews, runners and their families to come aboard the Lightship to make use of the facilities, including a bar.
Aid Stations & Cutoffs
Race Fees & Refunds
Supported: £65, Unsupported: £105, including booking fees. Please add £2 extra if unattached to a UK club.
Cancellations before 30th April 2023 will receive a 95% refund. A 75% refund will be paid if the organiser is notified between 1st and 31st May 2023. A 50% refund will be paid if the organiser is notified between 1st and 30th June 2023. No refunds of the entry fee will be made from that date onward.
To cancel a place, message firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as the decision is made. If more than 180 days have passed since the original card transaction, we will make any refund due via PayPal transfer to the email address on SiEntries. Upon request we will make the refund via BACS; in this case make sure to include bank account number and sort code details.
Find out more about entering the 2023 Kennet & Avon Canal Race