Leeds & Liverpool Canal 130 mile Race (LLCR) 2021
Liverpool - Leeds
"The Trans-Pennine Run"
Saturday 28th August 2021 06:00 at Old Hall St, Liverpool
Held under UK:Athletics rules and with the kind permission of The Canal & River Trust, this non-stop race is from Old Hall Street, Liverpool, along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal towpath, to Office Lock, Leeds. Competitors, who must be 20 or over on race day, are recommended to have their own support crews, but up to 50 Unsupported runners can be catered for by the Organisers, Canalrace C.I.C. Trail Running Association Permit Number: TBC.
From the Start at Old Hall Street Liverpool, to the Finish at Office Lock Leeds, the 130 mile towpath course follows the original Leeds & Liverpool Canal – Britain’s longest man-made waterway. Although it passes through the heartlands of the “Industrial North”, the path is surprisingly scenic. As well as the beautiful countryside, the route features the mile long Burnley Embankment (up to 60 feet above ground level) and the amazing Bingley Five Rise staircase. Both are listed among the “Seven Wonders of the Waterways”
LLCR is the last of a three race series “The Canalslam” totalling over 400 miles. Each race can be entered as a one-off, but competitors completing all three receive a special award. As with the other two events there are no entry qualifications, but a schedule to fit a 40 hour overall time limit is required.
- Easy route navigation – detailed maps and a canal to follow.
- Plenty of support – snacks and drinks every 10 –15 miles.
- Transport for retirees – a lift to the nearest station for anyone having a bad day.
- Easy to meet cut-off times – simply in line with the generous overall time limits.
- No qualification – previous experience of just a marathon has proven enough.
Perpetual trophy for 1st Man and 1st Lady; canalware trophy for 1st Man and 1st Lady; certificate and memento for each finisher; memento for all Canalslam finishers.
N.B. This event:
- is minimum support, but with feed points at 14, 25, 40, 54, 70, 84, 99, 113 and 127 miles for Unsupported runners. Drinks available for all competitors at these points;
- has no first aid or medical backup, but provides transport for retiring Unsupported entrants;
- welcomes support crews, and buddy runners (not pacers) one at a time, on foot, only from 70 miles;
- has checkpoint cut-off times in line with an overall time-limit of 40 hours (i.e. to finish by 2200 hours on Sunday 26th);
- is limited to 100 starters in total first come first served. Places will not be allocated by a draw.
- The full distance must be completed on foot, keeping, wherever possible, to the recognised towpath route.
- All Competitors must notify Race HQ (Tel. 07778 550945 or 07780 685538) immediately on retiring (even if they have already reported this at a checkpoint) or if they drop behind a schedule in line with the cut-off times.
- Competitors must reach all checkpoints by the closing times printed on the supplied maps. They must leave within 40 minutes of arrival. (Ref. rule 4.) Competitors must reach the Business First car park (Br No 126) Checkpoint at 70.6 miles within 19 hours 10 minutes, i.e. by 0110 hours on Sunday.
- Competitors will be deemed to have retired if stopped for more than 40 minutes at any one time. Competitors may enter vehicles for warmth, rest and nourishment, but will be disqualified if the vehicle moves. Any runner seen in a moving vehicle will count as retired, even if the intention is to return to the same place to resume, unless the vehicle is going to the aid of another entrant in difficulty.
- All competitors must display their race number to the front. It will be recorded at checkpoints en route. The medical form on the reverse of the number must be completed including emergency contact name and telephone number.
- All competitors must carry a mobile phone for calls to Race HQ; and have the financial means to sustain themselves in the event of breakdown of support vehicle.
- All competitors must carry a foil ‘space’ blanket at all times.
- Unsupported competitors must also carry the provided maps.
- Unsupported competitors must have one kit bag only, clearly labelled. For overseas competitors, and in exceptional cases, a maximum of two clearly labelled kit bags will be accepted. Competitors must minimise the size and weight of their bag, bringing only what is necessary (see important extra notes for Unsupported runners near the bottom of this document.)
- Competitors and crews must accept full responsibility for their actions (see Terms & Conditions).
- Entrants must undertake to inform the organiser if unable to take part (see Pre-Entry Notes).
- Buddy runners (someone who runs with the competitor) must not run in front of their runner, always beside or behind. If in front they will be regarded as pacers and pacing is not permitted in this event. Competitors may have only one buddy runner at a time and then only from the 70.6 mile meeting point, Checkpoint 5 at the Business First car park, BB12 6HH. Buddy runners must be on foot.
- Walking poles are not allowed at this event for runners or buddies.
- All runners and buddies must carry a torch, or headlamp, with spare batteries, and wear reflective clothing when on road sections at night.
- Supported (with own crew) competitors must have at least one support crew member with a vehicle from the Start; and for the duration of the race.
- All competitors must carry a cup for accessing hot and cold drinks at aid stations.
- Sharps, any needles, scalpels, or other articles that could cause wounds or punctures to personnel handling them, must be locked within a suitable container inside kit-bags.
Registration, Start & Finish
Early Registration on Friday evening 27th August is open from 6:00pm until 8:00pm at Liverpool Central Travelodge (Meeting Room 1), L1 6ER (TBC). Parking is available nearby at Old Haymarket car park, Old Haymarket, Merseyside, Liverpool, L1 6DE.
Registration on race day Saturday 28th August opens at 5:00am at Old Hall Street, L3 9BD. We will start at the Clarke’s Basin Memorial girder archway, adjacent to the Radisson Blue Hotel. Ample car parking is available on Old Leeds Street, L3 9BD, opposite the start.
The Finish is canalside at Office Lock, Bridge 226, LS1 4GJ near Leeds Railway Station. Parking is available close by on Wharf Approach, LS11 5WA.
Aid Stations & Cutoffs
Race Fees & Refunds
Supported: £60, Unsupported: £90 including booking fees. Please add £2 extra if unattached to a UK club.
Cancellations before 30th June 2021 will receive a full refund. A 50% refund will be paid if the organiser is notified between 1st and 31st July 2021. No refunds of the entry fee will be made from that date onward.
Find out more about entering the 2021 Leeds & Liverpool Canal Race